Monday, March 11, 2013

From Welsh to kilts.

As mentioned previously, when I find something interesting that takes my breath away, I latch on to it. I don't just dive off the rocks so much as jump from the cliffs. I immerse myself and if I don't find it as interesting in a few months, well ,I find something else that is fun and envelops my heart and stimulates my mind.
             This is usually regarding hobbies and languages or possibly outdoor activities. Now when it comes to heritage and my family, that is something I embrace fully. The Welsh/Scottish/English and Swiss heritage all mean so much to me even though I'm 100% American. Not a hyphenated American. Still, I speak English and want to learn languages that are part of my family past. That means German (which I have dabbled with since 15),Welsh, and Scottish Gaelic. The Welsh is particularly interesting to me and I have now learned 15-20 words and am on my way to more. With books,mp3's,podcasts and other means, it can be a great deal of fun!! So that is one of many things I'm in the middle of as I type this.

  
       Not only have I taken up this delightful language and the history of "our" people and culture, I have tattooed it on my soul and skin. This means I will NEVER forget where I came from. The newest addition to the inked body that blogs here are two dragons. One a small blue "pocket" dragon and the other a Ddraig goch on my right wrist, for all the world to see. Under it is Cymru which is  Wales in Welsh. I'm ever so proud to have this permanent reminder.

    Now while the Welsh lessons are proceeding well and I'm learning a lot about my heritage and family tree, unfortunately my bagpipe and whistle lessons have fallen by the wayside. So for now they shall remain there awaiting a return to practice.

                                One other major event in my life happened yesterday as I donned my kilt for the first time...in public!!!!  Yes, I made the effort and went out,outfitted up as a kilted man should be. Proud? Yes indeed!! All good looks and compliments resulted too. Here are a few pics of the outfits.




  What fun it was to go kilted! And with St Patricks Day this weekend, it will be in use again.

                  Those are the headlines for the blog this week. Next post will entail more about the language and kilts as well as possibly some running news.

No comments:

Post a Comment