Monday, May 12, 2014

A failure of sorts.


     Yes, a failure. I try to keep negativity to a minimum in my life and make things as positive as can be. There are times I fail in this, like everyone else. The Dalai Lama calls himself a simple Buddhist monk. Me, well I'm a simple American middle aged man of Celtic descent who screws up often and admits it. This time, I call back to the post from last month. My desire to eliminate alcohol, coffee and bad food from my diet. On the positive side, I have done very well with the coffee aspect as well as cut my bad food down quite a bit. In fact, I've not had a cup of coffee in almost three weeks. Tea, especially green, has replaced it and I've lost weight and feel better. The beer though. Ugh :-(

         I'm surrounded by it. Enveloped by it. Every running event is capped by the scent and tastes of some delightful brews. It is overwhelming to me and I simply cave in. It is not the alcohol. Not a bit. It is the taste and pleasure of drinking ambrosia. The nectar of the gods. Utter failure am I.

                                                          How could I pass on THIS:

 The rich brews.....









Going to one of my favourite hangouts in Portland.... Ringlers Pub.
                                                               Or the Kennedy School!!!!



Yes. Enough has been said. this is a chapter that has now closed in my desire to eliminate beer.


Now on to the reading material for this summer. And what is left of spring,which is considerable.




 Just a few of the books I plan to complete over the next four months, time willing. A lot of Buddhist philosophy books and some Japanese shunga and art books as well. Will have to manage these between writing, poetry, Welsh and running. Speaking of running.....






Sakyong Mipham is a marathoner and Buddhist lama who knows his stuff. He has authored this book about making running and meditation as well as spirituality a coexisting lifestyle. This will be a delightful book for sure and i cannot wait to read it. Now to get back to reading as I have my work cut out for me!!













No comments:

Post a Comment