Monday, June 30, 2014

Pain free?


                                         
                                        As June now moves into July, the real meat of summer will arrive.
Hot,sticky and simply miserable weather for this soul. Yet, I will make it as always and struggle through the oppressiveness of the season. A bit weary and tired when September arrives for sure.
But you don't need to read my whining words about the heat. Right?



                                              On the health front, I have "discovered" some wonderful things in my fight against the nastiness of psoriatic arthritis and sciatica.Although both are still ever present in my body and continue their march towards making life uncomfortable, new and enlightening supplements have proved to be powerful in reducing the occurrences of this duo. One of my sweethearts told me about the addition of Tumeric to my diet as a possible helper in this daily struggle as well as the continued use of extra vitamins and additives.


 I started this small bottle about a month and a half ago and while only taking a single pill daily (as opposed to the three daily they suggest), I have noticed a decrease in pain.  Is it really helping, I simply do not know. Could be the weather change in addition too. Could be a few factors. But as this is an inexpensive additive, I will stick with it. It certainly didn't stop the problems nor lessen the pain when they occur but it DID seem to slow them down in frequency.
That to me is enough of a reason. I have always LOVED curry and this plant is the basic part of the delicious Indian spice/herb and is also a great anti-inflammatory . This link sheds a little light on it:

http://www.arthritistoday.org/arthritis-treatment/natural-and-alternative-treatments/supplements-and-herbs/supplement-guide/turmeric.php

I'm willing to try most anything that is not man-made and caustic in order to deal with this. Natural methods and supplements are just fine with me. The earth gives us such a bounty and I shall use what I can from her before what a Dr gives me that has been produced in a lab. Which brings me to the pain management issue.



                                          Since the early days of my arthritis and other issues, I have always been one to take the nasty man made nonsense the Dr prescribes. Few work well for me and the ones that DO seem to have side effects that make the intended results less than stellar.





 As mentioned above, natural is best if possible. Aspirin has always been a good one for me but does not act as fast as it could and ,of course, one cannot take too many due to bleeding potentials in the stomach. Having dealt with ulcers as a teen and in my 20's, I know full well what that is like and don't need it again.Vicodin and other man made pain killers are simply horrible on the liver and other organs. While there might be some natural elements in them, they are still toxic IMHO. My Dr, pharmacist and many others I know and love from the medical field all agree. Yes, it is the best we have in some ways and i understand and respect that. But, plenty of cultures and peoples have used natural and effective ways of dealing with pain for thousands of years. We have them still and so why not use what we can!!!


                                    

There are so many ways! From chakras to acupuncture as well as herbs and plant based methods. The list goes on and on and I'm studying more about these as I age and begin to feel the effects of it.


As a Washingtonian, I voted for the use of THC and cannabis, not as a recreational drug, but for it's pain management options for sufferers of so many a malady. It truly is a miracle for human kind and needs to really be researched a lot more.

                                             
                                                          There are still many people who feel that marijuana is a drug and used as a means to get high only. That a generation of "potheads" and low lifes have been the recipients and users  of this natural plant . That there is NO medicinal value in it and therefore it should be banned no matter what. Yet, in the same breath, it is perfectly OK to use opiate based meds to alleviate pain. Fine, I can see why they want that as a white pill does not have the stigma attached to smoking a joint. Well plenty of folks know full well that prescription abuse is rampant and that those opiates are overused more than ever before. And THC does NOT have to be smoked...thankfully. So, after consulting with my doctors, both of them, about the use of THC in my own pain management, I decided to try a consumable version of this in hopes it would take care of the chronic pain. I do NOT want this THC for any reason other than pain. I have never smoked, will not smoke or vape this plant....EVER. Yet here is an option that truly IS amazing in it's effects on inflammation and pain.

            http://www.cancer.gov/cancertopics/pdq/cam/cannabis/healthprofessional/page4

                                                       Did it work?? Oh my did it ever!!!! One small dose of THC delivered pain stopping accuracy without any other effects to me. And THAT is what it is used for. Not for getting high, loopy or running away from life. Just PAIN and inflammation. And it does indeed work. Now that this is a legal and viable means of pain management in this state, I can use it when needed for this. No, I'm not a pothead nor will ever be. I run, take care of myself and am a healthy individual for the most part. But pain is still there. Fortunately, this does not happen as often as it once did as I have been able to use other means in reducing the effects.

                    So there you have it. While medications and other forms of relief are there for the taking, one of the best ways to combat pain can also be attitude.

                                                 

                                                                   Oh for sure, pain is a very real thing and NOT in our heads as some folks seem to think. I actually have had some people say that my arthritis and sciatica are in my head and that it is all imaginary. Yes, there are still folks like that out there. But as I travel this path of life and open my mind and eyes to alternative methods of doing things, a new world appears. It makes the journey that much better and the outlook very bright!!!! I'm not constrained and forced into a traditional and conservative, narrow minded way of thinking that once held me in it's grips.


                                Life is simply fabulous right now for me and my family!!!! At the age of forty seven years old, I have never been happier. Even WITH the pain issues and problems the body gives me. We all want to be happy, right?? For me, this is where I want to be. Well....minus the heat of the summer. I can do without that and look forward to autumn and it's colours and cool down.




No comments:

Post a Comment