Wednesday, July 30, 2014

A gluten free education.


                                                 The gluten free industry has really undergone an enormous change in the last decade. So many new, delicious and satisfying foods have now been created that make the gluten free diet a pleasure to undertake and not a horridly dull, tasteless experience. Before November of 2012, I had never encountered this part of the culinary and health related world other than occasional snippets from the newspaper or from advertisements in my letter box. Then, after meeting my sweetie and her roommate a few months prior to this date, I was introduced to the gluten free world and the business of helping those with Celiac disease, allergies and general issues with gluten. What a revelation it has been !!



                                                      So, for almost two years I have worked at a gluten-free market called Lingonberries. This delightful store sells exclusively gluten free foods and products that showcase some of the best goodies on the market. Not only food products but health and beauty aids as well. All in ONE location, not scattered across a 10,000 Sq Ft box store that labels itself as "health food". This is a huge distinction that many overlook for a couple of pennies in savings on a few items as well as driving all that way to those places. Not that they are BAD stores. They are fine and have their customers although admittedly, most are not looking for gluten free when they go there. A very small percentage in fact as those businesses are aiming toward the higher dollar making folks in trendy areas. That's fine. Be that way and enjoy. But if you are really looking to keep as far away from gluten as possible and have celiac disease or allergies brought on by contact of any sort, be careful at those places as cross contamination is a huge problem. They mix their GF and non GF items right next to each other and it only takes a broken bag, damaged box or wrapper and it can contaminate quickly. Yuk and ugh. So, that being said, shopping at a GF only store provides a location for all your needs as well as other allergy free, some dairy free, nut free and egg free choices.
We even have vegetarian and vegan foods as well. 


                                                     




 
                                                            After my time of working here I can honestly say how much I appreciate all that I have learned about the gluten free industry. So many people come in that relate their experiences of dealing with gluten issues as well as many other allergies. And I have made some great friends there as well. not only that, but I have a boss who allows me to wear my kilt every day I work and that makes me super happy that I can show my Scottish heritage!!!!






Ok, I usually go to work a lot more casual than a sweater  and long hose but I DID work a few days like that, learning it was not going to work out as planned. Way to warm of an outfit to be wearing while putting away freight.




 Is this blog post today a wee bit of shameless self promotion, trying to get the word out about my place of employment? Perhaps. Ok, yes, it is. But....why not? If someone is happy with their work place,employer and the way life is going, why not? And so that is what I write about at Hiroshige's Owl. My life. And working at Lingonberries is a big part of MY LIFE. So, this is what i decided I'd write about today.As I type this, the industry has changed and now other stores have decided to take on gluten free sections. That is all well and fine except that they are really not into customer service and helping the individual with GF. Just a hurry, get your goods and move along mentality. many have questions and they want it from knowledgeable people, not a stocker who hasn't a clue about the products they are shelving. This is where a smaller market can really shine... and we do that every day. Seven days a week.

                                                             If you are in the Portland/Vancouver area or even the Seattle/Tacoma metro area and want the best and most extensive selection of gluten free products, all in ONE location, at competitive prices, with knowledgeable staff who are part of the GF community, stop in or call for your needs. Our Facebook page is updated daily with news and sales as well as a great place to ask questions and inquire.

                                         https://www.facebook.com/LingonberriesMarket
  
                                         And for our newly constructed and developing web page...

                                                      http://www.lingonberriesmarket.com/


Now that I have shown the world where I work and enjoy my time while "on the job", I hope to see some of you stop by and say hello if you get the chance. I'm a part time employee right now and primarily work Tuesdays and occasional other days. Let me know via Facebook IM or email if you are stopping in and I will be there!! Hopefully kilted. Not always, but a lot of the time.











No comments:

Post a Comment