Tuesday, March 19, 2013

What was it REALLY like?

The St Patrick's Day weekend is now a memory but what a powerful one it is! So much happened on Friday,Saturday and Sunday that it is still running through my head. As mentioned last post,this was the first public appearance of me in my kilt and although apprehensive for the most part,I'm usually willing to give things a try once and test the waters. Photo one here is of Friday's kilt look as we attended the Paddy Hough neighborhood parade in Vancouver. The looks and smiles I received were delightful as I walked around. Only one snide comment from an ignoramus,who didn't know the difference between a kilt and a skirt,was the exception . Most of the comments and stares were very complimentary,especially from the women and girls.


 OK, so the comments from the ladies are a wonderful part of wearing the kilt. I admit it and won't take it back. Certainly not the ONLY reason as it is not something I wear everyday. But the smiles and remarks from the female sex make this a good enough reason if I DID want to don my tartan everyday!!! Here with Friday's outfit I wore a simple green sweater with it,making for a casual yet classy look.

Then Saturday arrives and the trip downtown to Portland gave a lot more eyes a glance at the kilt.
We went to Powell's Books where the stares were just as obvious yet kind and non aggressive,a very good thing. Only photo I took here was this one with Mr Bones,poking fun at his need for a kilt too!!

We came back home early to attend a delightful dinner with my family at the Stardust Diner in Vancouver where we enjoyed a great meal.

Then a decent night's sleep and St Patrick's Day officially arrives! The three of us drove to the Shamrock Run in downtown Portland to cheer on our running friends in this years event,boasting over 35,000 entrants. I decided against it this time due to budget but perhaps next year.
We saw some of our friends during the race and then met up at Rock Bottom car for a drink. That was the FIRST place!!!

Then on to Kelly's bar for a Guinness!! Never been to this one and was delightfully surprised.
Only one pic from that place as it was simply way too dark inside.



After that we piled into cars and headed back home to Vancouver and the pub named Shanahans!!! This place was hopping for sure and packed to the rafters!!


The camera on the ipod Touch is lousy and I see red eye now and then but some decent photos resulted. A few boilermakers and much Guinness made the day a treat!! After Shanahans we went to the Double Down Irish bar downtown and that was our last place. Had a great time with our friends!!




What a day indeed!!! Now the question lingers....will I wear a kilt very often around town?? Absolutely!!!  Ever day?? No, as I don't have enough kilts for that and I still like my trousers now and then. But on nice evenings or days and also when going to town, I will certainly be kilted!!
Now to go find the next tartan and kilt I want to add to the collection!!!!



1 comment: