Sunday, April 7, 2013

Tartan Day 2013

Every year there is a national, actually international, day called Tartan Day. Today, over eleven million Americans claim Scottish and Scotch-Irish roots -- making them the eighth largest ethnic group in the United States. These are the people and accomplishments that are honored on National Tartan Day, April 6th. And even a week of celebration called Scottish Week gives us of Scottish descent a chance to recognize our past and future. A great time to wear the kilt and show respect.
This year it is 3 April to 10 April with Tartan Day the 6th on a Saturday. Therefore, a get together of my friends from X Marks the Scot, an online forum for kilt lovers and indeed those who love Scotland and things Scottish, was in order. Arrangements were made to meet at the Rose and Thistle pub in Portland, a great small establishment off Broadway on the east side. Here we, myself,Ann and Liberty, met up with a delightful group to celebrate with Guinness and other assorted ales!!


Hopefully we can do this every few months and keep the Scottish spirit going in Portland as there is a wonderful presence of Scotland here in the Rose City.

Today was the Bridge to Brews 10K race in which Ann was running, so another chance to get out in the kilt. This time I wanted to go casual and wear something different. This was the combination I came up with and for the most part it worked OK. The kilt is the Black Watch tartan and shirt a red dragon of Eastern design but with a very Welsh look, which suited me just fine. Found it at a Goodwill store yesterday and found it perfect with this outfit.

 The one thing I don't care for as much about wearing the kilt higher around the navel is the extra padding it makes, giving the appearance of a belly. I have worked hard to lose that and don't like the look it gives so I might have to play with the design a bit from now on. Call me a bit vain about it but there it is.

 On the music front, I have finally purchased some new waxed hemp cord to get my chanter back operating again in hopes of practice. No guarantee but I'm fitting in playing time when I can. I admit that I'm just not good with playing and practicing certain instruments. At least with languages I can take them with me everywhere!! The Welsh is coming along decently albeit slowly.

Until next post, enjoy the springtime we have and always be positive!!!!!

In closing ,how about this photo I snapped at the race today.   Truly delightful!!!




No comments:

Post a Comment