Thursday, May 16, 2013

Cats paws,claws and teeth.

What a whirlwind the last 5 days have been! Saturday last was the beginning of a chain of events that landed me in the hospital for the first time since birth!! Yes, that is correct. Other than a quick outpatient hand surgery 20 years ago,this is the only time I've been admitted since being born.

  Saturday my mothers cat was was taken in by Liberty as a possible new member of the family at yellow house,in hopes of surrendering her to the Humane Society. However she did not get along with the cats nor the people there and the result was a confrontation that proved painful. The resulting bites and scratches were something I thought i could deal with at home but Sunday it was evident I needed medical attention and a trip to the small urgency care clinic told me it was worse.Cat bites become infected 80% of the time and these were bad.In fact,they spread very quickly because the bites were to the bone and deep. So off to Legacy Salmon Creek ER we went. This is what the hands and fingers looked like a few hours after arriving:






What was a surprise entailed the admitting ER doctor's words saying I needed to stay overnight. With no health insurance this scares me to death. But this was needed so I did. And it was a good thing as I was told that another 24 hr wait would have resulted in the loss of my hands. Yikes!!




So TWO nights were needed for me to get better after IV's of antibiotics,some pain meds and an eventual discharge home on Wednesday afternoon.

Decided to have some fun with the staff before leaving and told them the meals were not filling and that I was wasting away.



 The fingers and hands are better but I have a long way to go before they are back to normal. Perhaps even a month or two as the deep tissue damage makes them very stiff and painful to use. Had to give up my 5K Parade Run race this weekend but Ann will enjoy running it. I have to even learn to tie the shoes differently!!! As it was both index fingers,things can get dicey when they are needed.

  So that is the update for now. Hope to get back to work at the market today for a few hours but will take it slowly as I get the digits moving again. Need to take it slow as they are still in a lot of pain. Leaving the hospital does not mean they are healed!! 

Until next post...thanks for all of your support my friends!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment