Wednesday, May 8, 2013

Ways of the flute!

The diet has been followed for the most part with no real change in weight unfortunately. There comes a time and age when the body says "I like this weight range and am staying here" with an occasional change in one way or another. I never seem to get under the 158 lb number. I'll keep trying but so far it does not look like change will come.


    Over the last few weeks, as noted in previous posts, I've been delving back into my Native American flutes,especially the rim blown variety. These instruments are something I DO play reasonably well and thoroughly enjoy no matter when or where. But I've not taken any photos of them in a few years and have added a new model since. So off to the park I went for some work with the Nikon D-50 digital SLR, my old standby of many years now. These works of art are like children to me in a way. I take care of them,feed them oil when needed, and play them. An unused instrument of any type needs to be PLAYED. Otherwise it is simply art.



Above are my two Geoffrey Ellis flutes: An Anasazi flute in A crafted out of black walnut and the other to the right a Mojave 6, also out of the same species. These play so beautifully!!!!


Next up...the Butch Hall flute,this time a fipple flute that only requires direct air at the mouthpiece instead of an embouchere. This is also made of black walnut. Yes, it is my favourite species!!!



After the Butch Hall walnut, here is the beginning of the Michael George Allen flutes. He is also known as Coyote Oldman in the flute recording world and his instruments are also a delight to behold! This model here is a Hopi style flute with gorgeous blue accents and carvings all over.
It is in western red cedar.

The Mojave flute here,with only four holes,is a deep and resonant model with little ornamentation on the body except for the makers mark and a few animal symbols near the top. It  also is in western red cedar as is the next model, the Anasazi,or Prayer Rock flute.






And to round things out,here is the collection in total.

  All of these can be carried in my Laughing Mallard quiver,made of a special 100th anniversary blanket by Pendleton Mills. It was NOT cheap but necessary to protect the beauties contained within when I travel to flute shows or festivals or when recording out in the forest or parks.

Usually I take my Roland Micro Cube portable amplifier with me for recording and use a Tascam digital DR-07 recorder for when I want to save the songs. I do have some on Sound Cloud if interested.

http://soundcloud.com/handlebar

Let me know what you think!!

As for those musicians I follow and look up to for inspiration... I thank Michael Allen,Scott August,Mary Youngblood and Carlos Nakai . They were so pivotal in my learning!!

That does it for the post today!!!!










1 comment:

  1. Hi. Very nice. I play and collect rim blown flutes as well.

    Just so you know, Michael Allen's middle name is Graham, not George. A small point, I know.

    ReplyDelete