Wednesday, August 21, 2013

A new shakuhachi group: Pacific NW edition!




Back when I started to learn and love the shakuhachi flute, my resources took me so many places. One was a delightful forum called Mujitsu and Tairaku's Shakuhachi BBQ. Talk about a great place to learn!! In addition to my studies with sensei Tyrrell and the wonderful journey of mindfulness,awareness and melodies on the flute,many things also changed in my life. Alas, the forum stopped being that and is now an archive for reading only. This resource is still valuable and can be found here:  http://www.shakuhachiforum.com/

   So, then from the ashes of that forum came another: the European Shakuhachi Society on Facebook.  Although a superb site and filled with great players,it is based in Europe.


                                   https://www.facebook.com/groups/156126251071128/


There are also a few others on Facebook that allow us to indulge in our hobby and play.

                             https://www.facebook.com/groups/2346832465/
                             https://www.facebook.com/groups/112692755413877/

 But...there are very few regional shakuhachi groups outside of Europe and Japan.
 So I have decided to start one specifically for the Pacific Northwest part of the US.
  With a rich background in Japanese culture and history over the last 200 years, what an appropriate
place to start a group. I've met very few shakuhachi players from the west coast yet know they are out there! In the Portland metro area, where I reside, I knew of only two or three. Now with the start of this group on Facebook, I have added two more to the group. It has only been a few days since I started this but we are up to six members and I hope to see this grow soon. Perhaps even a meetup to play! Here is the link to Facebook if interested in joining or simply reading the information:

                                   https://www.facebook.com/groups/463348363763668/

           What I would love to see is a place for those of us in the pacific northwest and west coast to chat and discuss shakuhachi.  The California region, especially the San Francisco area, is rich in shakuhachi teachers and players. Now let's get some interest going in the northwest!!!

  As for my own playing, well it has become better and practice more often. It will take a few months to get back to where I was before I veered from the path. But...I shall make it back. Also started to learn a bit of flute related Japanese for music study. Almost essential in this are of learning.

                           
                            Some eye candy for the shakuhachi!!!How is THIS for a collection?!

                                                                  And these beauties....
 

     

                                      Some stunning eye candy for the shakuhachi player!

                                          Enough shakuhachi "stuff" for this blog post.

No comments:

Post a Comment