Saturday, October 19, 2013

My inky meanings.

  Not a very catchy blog title for sure but apropos. It is a reference to the tattoos I wear on my body and what they mean to me, even to others. Before 2008, I'd always wanted a tattoo. But due to the religious organization I belonged to then, it was very much frowned upon, no matter where one had the ink located. Yet, I was over 40 years old. Why was I letting other people influence me and tell me NOT to get a tattoo?? Yes, it was stupid to think so. So after leaving that belief system and organization behind (not God mind you, just that group and organized religion), I decided to get my first tattoo.  As a dedicated runner , I thought that theme to be perfect. So this is what I came up with, on my right ankle.

           I looked around for a good artist to do this, even though it was not exactly a tough design. But I also was not a rich man so it needed to be something I could afford. I finally located Pearl District Tattoo in Portland and met Doug Auld. He made short work of the design, inked me and away I went with a bargain priced tattoo. My first !!! I love this tattoo and it is still gracing my foot, the primary partner I take on every run. :-)  I eventually added a moon to the design for a bit of fun as I love to run at night and early morning.


                                Tattoos can be VERY addicting to some. I'm included in that statement and was on my way to a LOT more ink over the next five years. Various designs that symbolized something special to me were inked on my arms or legs, always something that could be covered up with clothing. No neck or face tattoos for me...ever. This scarab was for my love of Journey and the role they played in the late 70's and early 80's for me. After that, I added a bit of a Van Gogh to surround it and give some colour and depth to the left arm.




                 After that, I had my favourite Japanese woodblock print from Hiroshige added on the left forearm. This along with the Kanji for tea,my favourite drink (especially green) ,a runners shoe, the Japanese symbols for the shakuhachi flute, a couple of dragons and a dal segno for my love of music. Tying it all together I had Japanese style clouds added in between. The Japanese aspect in my life came from my grandfather in the beginning as he lived there from the late 50's till the end of his life. Since those first photos I'd viewed as a child, I was especially fascinated by the art,music and food of that culture.  Now so much more meaning has become apparent and I hope to visit Japan soon.








So now the left arm has been completed.

The right has had it's share of ink too and is almost complete. The Native American (Haida) flute playing Raven symbolizes my love of that instrument and the music as well as that very minute bit of NA blood I have.

    Then came a compass, for the directions I''m always going, the world map, signifying my world travels and the Gustav Mahler lieder title and signature, for my love of Mahler's works and their significance in my life. Also added a Zen Enso, for my love of Buddhist philosophy and meditation.





                          Also have a band commemorating my first full and half marathons.

   AT one time I had the only tattoo I regretted getting, at least in that location: an ARRL diamond and some morse code,etc. Well yesterday I had that covered up with a fine koi and some stars that will eventually lead to a Draco constellation from the top of my right arm. This will finish my arm and complete both . My artist, Doug, had since moved on to another establishment after the closing of the Pearl store. He has now landed at The Parlour in the St Johns district of Portland,Oregon.











                                           The legs have fewer tattoos with a Welsh dragon and Scottish circle including the saltaire flag and thistle to show my heritage . Then an oak tree for my roots and family foundation .








  And those are the tattoos I have. If you count them individually there are more than 100 but taken as designs pattens, only 25. And I love them all!!! I have no plans for any further cover ups and only to finish the upper arms. The legs are going to stay as they are. For now :-)

                              Thanks for letting me share my inky history with you !!!!







No comments:

Post a Comment