Saturday, October 12, 2013

Which instrument now? Tin whistles take over...

     I've so little time anymore for serious study of the instruments I want to get better on. The bagpipes were a dismal failure though I still have my chanter and will someday give it another go perhaps.The shakuhachi,my beloved Japanese flute, is fun and I love playing it for meditative and reflective moments as opposed to digging deep into the folk and Buddhist pieces it is really intended for.I play it decently this way but that is all. It is an instrument that truly deserves a lot of time and effort to master, something I don't have right now. These are the shakuhachi I own currently: two from Perry Yung ( a root Earth model 1.8 and one a Chikusing model in a 2.2) and the Yuu poly model in D, also a 1.8.




    They are my babies in a way and I adore them. But I want to be able to take an instrument with me that is reflective of not only my roots and family heritage, but easy to play and travel with. The Yuu is a good one and I take it often. My classical guitar and Fender strat are not nor is the bagpipe chanter due to it's difficulty and loud sound. So....where now? Well, being a HUGE fan of Celtic music and both folk and instrumental works from the Scotland,Wales,England and Ireland, why not get out the tin whistle I bought many months ago? I blogged once about it at the same time I bought my chanter but it was cast aside in favour of the bagpipe itch. So out it came a few days ago. A simple model by Feadog, a black standard in D.


    There are so many wonderful positives about this instrument, the best part being that it is a member of the Celtic and Scottish/Irish traditional folk scene. Second, it is quite inexpensive to purchase and travels easily no matter where one goes.Third, there are various keys and options for them, making it fun to experiment. And THE overwhelming advantage to the Irish (Scottish as well) Tin Whistle: it is easy to play!!!! And it sounds good when one practices a wee bit too. As I adore flutes of various types and styles, this most simple of examples is now receiving my attention in full.
 I have a new Clarke black model on the way from my mother's house tonight in fact as she never plays hers and is gifting it to me!! Thanks Mum!!






 So, I now have two whistles, both in D. Book wise, I own the very well known Bill Ochs edition from Clarke, the Pat Conway Soodlum's book as well as the L.E. McCullough "Complete Irish Tinwhistle Tutor". All are great for beginners such as myself. Someday I shall add the Mel Bay Essential volume to my collection.

    There you have it. Let's see how long I stay with this one. I change my mind more than some runners their socks. It is part of me and my desire to explore every facet of my life on this planet. I crave knowledge and learning. Perhaps this instrument will work out for me.

In the meantime, here are a few links to videos of some amazing tin whistle playing an also some forums and pages.


Mary Bergin playing the tin whistle

More Mary Bergin Irish traditional folk music

Chiff and fipple-a Whistle web forum and home

The Whistleshop




These are just a few to get one started. Now off to have fun learning all I can about this instrument!!!

   Oh, and now that the weather has changed to colder temps, I find my kilt wearing experiences to be so much  better. Today, this was what I wore to work the store,Lingonberries,for a short while.

On a running note, I have finally been able to put together a decent string of miles to make 25 so far, with a hopeful 5 tomorrow to make 30. It has been quite awhile since being able to hit that total and I'm glad things are getting better.













2 comments:

  1. This recording by Silly Wizard (from "Caledonia's Hardy Sons") has always defined for me the standard of virtuosity on the whistle and the overpowering depth of feeling which it can convey. http://grooveshark.com/s/The+Twa+Brithers/2TeYIJ?src=5

    ReplyDelete