Thursday, November 21, 2013

Shakuhachi and flutes on the go

                                   
                                       As I practice my flutes, both shakuhachi and others, I feel the need to take at least ONE of them with me when out and about. Not that I play them in public or in front of others, but that I have SOMETHING to practice on when a few spare moments become available. This is tough when schedules make it difficult to fit in even ten minutes practice but at least the flute is there. So now I have started to take my shakuhachi Yuu with me when possible and I remember. Also small and easy are the Irish Tin Whistles from either Feadog or Clarke that sits on my shelf:very portable.


   Usually I take the Yuu in the above leather bag and the whistle in a small pouch. But I want something even stronger in case of an accident so I've been considering a small carry case from Monty at shakuhachi.com that would allow a better way of transport. Hope to get one someday soon. For now this is how I will take them and get in some time away from home. When I'm going to a flute convention/festival and want to carry them along with the Anasazi and Native American flutes, I use the Pendelton flute carrier I bought a few years back. This allows me the option of taking the long flutes as well as 2.2 Chikusing shakuhachi I own as well.


While the flute carrier at left was a bit expensive at the start, it is a valuable and protective addition to the set up. It allows up to six flutes and accessories inside of a lined PVC case with Pendelton wool blanket on the outside. A beautiful pattern as well that makes taking the flutes even more enjoyable knowing they are protected.


My daily practice of shakuhachi has been going well in between bouts of coughing due to the remainders of this cold and it's grip on my lungs. Running last night in the freezing cold didn't help things so I shall be cutting back on the running until I clear this congestion. I can practice the flutes a wee bit though in between coughs. :-)  It is nice that I have so many online and at home resources for flute study on those days I cannot practice or am on the go. PFD and text files of books and music are stored on my smartphone and tablet that give me thousands of pages of reading material,thus making it easy to always look something up or explore areas I have not researched as yet. This is where technology makes it a blessing as far as study goes.


                                                        A new flute has made it's way to the collection!! This came via Ebay and even though I was not intending on buying it or bidding as high as I did, nevertheless it was "won" and is now safely here at home. This is another Earth Tone Anasazi/Pueblo made by Geoffrey Ellis,the same artist craftsman who produced my superb black walnut models. The new flute is made from curly maple and is stunning to not only view but a delight to play.



 This first shot is of the Anasazi curly maple in Bb and all alone. Great colouring! Then together with the black walnut Anasazi and Mojave 6 flutes, all by Earth Tone. Thanks to Ann and Liberty for this wonderful birthday gift!! It shall remain in my collection forever and played with all the spirit that it's ancestors and creators intended.

                                                        Now to go practice and get things ready for yet another brisk and frosty morning out and about.

                                                 










No comments:

Post a Comment