Thursday, November 28, 2013

Thanksgiving Day and shakuhachi

                     
                  Autumn and winter are always a busy duo of seasons for me as I keep myself busy with so many activities. Fall is always my favourite season but it passes so quickly that before you know it, winter cold and bleakness have set in. More activities are moved indoors with books and other pursuits keeping us all busy. Thus I have a difficult time getting out for a run and working out. Add that the new health issues of arthritis and sciatica are always cropping up and ,well, you get the picture. I do what I can,when I can. Still, I have so much to do this winter and soon hope to tackle the books I've bought over the last year and not been able to read. On the reading list:

   Finally finishing " A Single Tone" by Christopher Blasdel. I started it a year ago and got seriously sidetracked. Ugh. Now back at it and enjoying every page. I only wish I could play a fraction as well as Christopher does!!!

  Started "Awakening the Buddha within" by Lama Surya Das and am finding it a fascinating read.

  And I'm also going through the Annals of the International Shakuhachi Society, both being very rich in information and ideas for shakuhachi players or scholars of any age.


  These books are keeping me busy enough that I find immersion in Japanese culture and shakuhachi easier and enjoyable,not a drudgery as some scholastic studies can be. Practicing is tough enough but these help me WANT to practice more!!



 



I also find that as one immerses the mind in the studies and culture of what the heart desires, it is a MUCH easier path to walk and enjoy.





                                                                     With these three volumes I shall have plenty to keep the mind and playing desire occupied until the new year arrives. Then I tackle the OTHER ten or so books purchased in 2013 that are sitting on the shelves, such as those dedicated to Japanese poetry, haiku and the history of Japanese literature during the Edo period. Add the book about Japanese prints by Munsterburg and I'm set through the winter I believe. Now to PLAY and LEARN more songs!!! And be able to smoothly blow second register Kan and NOT sound horrible!!!


   As this is Thanksgiving Day in America, I want to give thanks for all of my family,friends and the life that I'm blessed with. Happy Thanksgiving to all of you and best wishes for the future!!



                

No comments:

Post a Comment