Friday, May 23, 2014

A summer of flutes.


                                                    As spring winds down and the summer season looms, I have made what I think is a plan of action for three months. Not that there are hard and fast plans for me as I really take each day as it comes, cherishing them and living in the moment,as it occurs. But I DO want to at least form some schedule for what might happen in these hot months ahead. Books? Check. Welsh studies? Check. Races and new places to run? Check. Now I shall add another old friend to the mix...shakuhachi and Native American flutes? Check. Yep. They always call to me.
Sitting there, on the wall. Each in it's own position of pride,looking down and wishing to be played.
Sometimes I take them out for an adventure,with my Tascam digital audio recorder . One favourite park near my place has these beautiful cedar trees as well as some hemlocks. Simply stunning place to play.


To the far left is an Anasazi (in black walnut) made by Geoffrey Ellis of Earth Tone Flutes.
Then the Prayer Rock flute (also an Anasazi)
made by Michael Graham Allen AKA Coyote Oldman.
Third from the left is an Mojave 6 in black walnut, again by Geoffrey Ellis.
Fourth is a Hop flute made by Coyote Oldman. This is no longer being made and a prized model in many ways.
Then next is a Mojave in cedar by Coyote Oldman.
Finally, a fipple  Native American flute in black walnut made special order for me by Butch Hall.


To the right is the newest addition to my collection...an Anasazi rim blown flute in curly Maple by Geoffrey Ellis. One of my easiest flutes to get a good embouchure on.
And the colouring is spectacular!!!
I love Ebay sometimes!!! :-)
These instruments are not simply that but works of art, created by expert hands to be cared for,played and loved for a lifetime.











                               These are some of the things I treasure. Not too many items in my possession that I love as much as these. Well, perhaps my fountain pens. :-)

Then there are the shakuhachi. The Yuu model shakuhachi is a great practice instrument and one I take with me sometimes. I need to do this more often and get back to working on breath control as well as technique. Been a long time since I took lessons from Sensei Tyrrell and I hope to someday get back to those.  Here is a photo of the shakuhachi I own...

 This is the Yuu model to the left. Good tone and sound as well.




                Next up is the 1.8 Perry Yung shakuhachi. This is a wonderful sounding model that is my favourite for general recording and meditative playing. Just love the root end on this flute!!!!! 





















Yes, it looks more like a weapon than a flute. But, it sounds wonderful!!!! And it has that Wabi Sabi quality that I love.

Finally, a longer and deeper shakuhachi here in the Chikusing model, also by Perry Yung.





This is a 2.2 model and the longest shakuhachi I own.
A very mellow and rich toned flute that is a bit of a reach for my smaller arms. but, I make it work and enjoy playing this flute.

The bottom photo is of the utaguchi, or inlay for blowing across to make the flute sound. This one is made from water buffalo horn.


                 So, there they are. Some background on my flutes and what additional things I have planned for the summer along with a LOT of reading. I had written a blog entry similar to this a long time ago, detailing the flutes and how I adore them and enjoy playing. Someday...I will be good enough to take them to a street corner near Powell's Books in Portland, or another popular spot, and play in public. No way I could do that now but who knows if by summers end I might.

                                  For more posts, check out the Facebook page at :

                                    https://www.facebook.com/hiroshigeowlblog


   















2 comments:

  1. Hi James,

    Your email wasn't working, so.....  I really enjoy your blog and have learned a lot from your flute portal posts.  I hope I am not bothering you, but I was hoping you could help me with some advice.

    I am looking at getting a Geoffrey Ellis Anasazi flute and I wanted to ask you about two woods.  I am really liking the curly douglas fur, but I also like black walnut ( I have a couple NAF in this).  I saw that you have some walnuts and a curly maple.  Is there any difference in the way they sound due to the wood?

    Mahalo.....Matthew

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Matthew,

      Not sure why the email wasn't working. As for the species, I love the walnut due to it's appearance, durability and weight. Sound wise I think the walnut is a wee bit more resonant.
      Try this email....kapellmeister1@juno.com

      Delete