Monday, May 26, 2014

Shakuhachi 101...again? Really?


                                     Yes, I will be the first to admit it. Shakuhachi 101...again. I have been playing around with the shakuhachi now for almost five years and even took lessons for some time with Sensei Tyrrell in Portland.

  

Granted, I was not able to spend but three months studying with him so the level of my playing and insight were not accomplished by any means. Still, those were pivotal times for me and I learned many solid and essential things as a foundation for my continued learning.
Then....life happened. So much happened in those months and I could not maintain my practice nor continued learning for the finances were horrible. Simply put, I just could not afford more lessons and would practice on my own. That didn't work out as well either. Since then I have done this TWICE!!!!!! Tried to start over and get my practice going, to work on  breathing techniques and learn those few songs I knew, all over again. Then life would creep back in. So....here I am...AGAIN!!
    ^  Sensei Tyrrell ^


                                    First thing I did was get my playing space ready for study.  It is not a luxurious spot but simply the corner of my own bedroom. This is also my meditation place as well and I try to make time for that along with playing. Sometimes I play and meditate at the same time. Playing the shakuhachi is VERY meditative and proves to be like running in some ways.





 The primary books I have are those authored by Masayuki Koga and workbooks by James Nyoraku Schlefer. These are enough to keep me going for many years and I value them highly. Also using "The Shakuhachi: A manual for learning" by Christopher Blaisdel.


 


   










Now that these are out, on my music stand and ready to go, today will be the first of many I hope to play and get back into shape. Hope to buy a dry erase board and track my practice sessions as well as Welsh lessons and meditations.



                        So...there it is. First up is to get the breathing control back to where it was a year ago and be able to play a continuous note, probably not RO but  TSU and to maintain it for a good 30 seconds minimum.


Off I go to play the shakuhachi!!!!




















No comments:

Post a Comment