Saturday, June 7, 2014

Photographic Evolution.


                                                     In the early 1980's, I was a devotee of the photographic arts. In high school my primary focus (yeah, I know...horrible pun) was photography and in learning all I could about it. For four years I progressed from a simple pinhole camera made from black art paper and some Kodak matte photo paper in the back, to a Pentax K1000 35mm camera, which was an expensive piece of equipment for my poor parents.




  These older cameras didn't need the battery power the new digital models do. Great cameras and fun to shoot with. As I could develop my own film and use enlargers to make black and white as well as colour prints, I was on my way.
I later upgraded to a Pentax P3..










And then to a Minolta X370 and then X570




















I loved shooting with these models and knew eventually I would upgrade to my favourite brand, Nikon. That would be in the form of the N70 and also a back up body of the FG, the one below these words. I still own this camera as well as the upgrade to the Nikon N70, the N80.






Both had their time with me and in my own freelance years as a photographer. I owned a business named Infinity Images and I shot architectural and business photos. Nope, never made much money but had a lot of fun. Did weddings too.




Then digital became the new format. I was resistant to this change and held out for a few years but KNEW it was the future in photography. So I saved the dollars and bought a Nikon D50.



This I bought in 2006 for a higher price of $650 and it was a HUGE 6.1 megapixel CCD.
Of course, we have  moved way ahead of that and now the digital cameras are amazing in all details.
Now the 36 MP + range has been reached and the details are as good as film was. yep, I had to accept that film was dead. And that the means to print and transport photos over the Internet and on CD roms,etc had now become the industry standard. I decided to leave the business and concentrate on other pursuits. I did NOT , however, stop using my D50. Up until yesterday, I estimate that I have run 200,000 photos through that camera. It certainly had been worth the investment in 2006.

But, the D50 was getting old. It needed a major cleaning, better glass for the lenses and to be upgraded. So, yesterday i decided it was time for a new model to step up if I wanted to be more competitive with others in the future for stock pics and for shooting photos of my running pals at races and events. Here she is...voila!! The Nikon D3200.



 This beauty of a body has 24.2 MP and a host of other features the D50 never had. I also have new glass that makes my older lenses seem like kids toys. I'm back in the game again!!
Wonder if i should dig up my press passes from the past and get them re-laminated?? Nah, not a chance. But I admit that this new lease on my love of photography is making me really look at more nature photos as well as using this beauty as much as possible. Watch out world, James is back in the game of shooting photos!!!!













No comments:

Post a Comment