Sunday, December 7, 2014

Ink, ink and more ink!!!

*************************************************************************************

                                                        After leaving the religious group I belonged to most of my life, in 2008, I set out as a free man to do things that were forbidden to that organization. Oh my, so many things that I desired and yet couldn't do because some older fellas on the east coast deemed themselves holier than anyone else and that I MUST follow their interpretation of Biblical law. Um....no. This was NOT happening any longer. So, one of the first things I did that was on the list of taboo acts, was to get a tattoo. I'd always wanted one and was quite nervous about doing so. Would it hurt? Would it "mark" me as an outcast or a rebel. The usual mind fuck that occurs when one leaves a system they have been part of after 35+ years of a life. I set out to find a small design and to look for a place to have it done.  After searching quite a few places, Pearl District Tattoo was chosen.

    
                                                         What impressed me most was the attitude and care of the two artists working there, Doug Auld and Tony Harris. ( Tony at left, Doug at right) They didn't treat me like a piece of garbage off the street who was looking for a cheap and crappy bit of flash ink. I was a customer, sure, but also a newbie who needed some help along the way when getting my first tattoo. So, I made an appointment in November of 2009 with a design to show my love of running: A small figure running that I named my own Pheidippides. This was the resulting tattoo on my right ankle...

Sure, it was small and not too detailed. But, it was a perfect first tattoo and gave me an idea of what they felt like and how long it took to get one.
Well, that first experience at Pearl District tattoo was the catalyst that started it all for me. I would never visit another tattoo artist as Doug Auld was to be the only one who would ink this fella. Never been tempted to go to another artist.

Eventually the shop closed down and Tony left to go back home to the midwest/east and Doug moved on to a different location, eventually ending up at The Parlour-St. Johns, in Portland. I followed for sure.

What follows now, are a few photos of the various tattoos I have had inked on my canvas over the last six years. These are not all of them but until I get a folder with them all together, it is a representation of what I have.


























 And, of course, the last one inked is the erotic shunga piece here . A delightful bit of art on my hip!!!







 This gives an idea of the extent of the ink work I have had done in the short six years. I want to get a nice full body shot of all my ink but have not done so as yet. Hopefully I can get that soon and post it. I'm very proud of all of my ink and love each and every one, no matter what. I WILL be getting more ink and have no idea how far I will go with it. it is part of my journey through life and I'm loving every step I take and road I travel.
Not much of a blog post this time but I felt like showing the ink a bit and getting my artists name out there as he is superb!!!  So, here it is....Doug Auld. The Parlour, St Johns in Portland ,Oregon.  :-)

**********************************************************************************

No comments:

Post a Comment