Thursday, December 18, 2014

Times are a changing!!

*********************************************************************************

                                                                 Death is a natural and common thing. Fortunately, I don't have to report that there has been a death in the family or of any friends. But, last Saturday one thing died that caused a slight set back, and that was of my six year old desktop computer. The hard drive ceased working and it would not boot up and all. This does not surprise me after the time I have owned it and all the work it has done. I had almost everything on it backed up so that made this an event that was not too tough to deal with. Still, I do NOT have the funds to be shelling out willy-nilly for parts, etc. So, having just sold off my ham radio gear this last week, I was able to afford to go and buy a new tower. Complete. Sure, I could have saved a few dollars in buying parts and pieces, installing them and getting another few years out of it. But for $250, I bought a new machine with more speed and memory than the old model and it's a third smaller in size. A win-win.


OK, I agree that discussing computers on this blog is NOT the most exciting thing, especially since I'm a real cheap skate and don't put out high dollars for computers or parts. Just enough to get me by and do the job. That is what I do and it is the same with most aspects of my buying style. there are exceptions of course, like shakuhachi flutes, fountain pens and other items where quality means more to me. But, this new system will work nicely for awhile and I'm happy it's working well.
********************************************************************************

Just before the computer became a deceased soul, Ann and I went to see our tattoo artist friend, Doug Auld, for the year's last bit of ink. We both were giving the other an early Christmas gift in a tattoo and sat at The Parlour  St-Johns in Portland. Ann decided on this design for her tattoo:


             







                      The fairy was a bold design for her and I applaud her for getting it. The colour scheme was well done and blended nicely with the style.






Then it was my turn. I had wanted another shakuhachi related tattoo for awhile and had chosen a komuso a long time ago. So this was what I came up with:













 This particular design was inspired from a work by Japanese artist Sanzo Wada.   It is a more modern work from the 1940's but captures the komuso in their attire. I removed the sword that was attached as I prefer my Buddhist monks to be non-violent and left that off the design. Came out rather well I think.



So no more ink in 2014. Will see what 2015 brings in the way of designs and where I can put them. This komuso took care of the last part of my lower legs.




*********************************************************************************

                                                         Coming up soon, I will be starting a new blog. This will be under the same address of http://hiroshigeowl.blogspot.com/ but will be completely about one subject. It will be a journey undertaken by myself, showing every post how the road is enjoyed and discovered.
I tried this once back in 2011 and it never really took off. It morphed into this blog, actually.
For sure there will be some who will not want to follow the new blog as much due to less interest in the subject matter. But, I find it will be a pleasure for me and will also provide some accountability in keeping to my studies and tasks. Since the arrival of my new shakuhachi "Hideo" from Perry Yung Flutes, I have not put him down. He has been played EVERY DAY since landing permanently here and will be the primary partner on my travels. Along with him are going to be a few others that grace my home. As I journey with my flutes and dig deeper into the music, history and playing, there is no doubt some wonderful things will be learned. I shall post the link to the new blog soon and then start my "travels". So the new blog is about the shakuhachi and will be entitled  "Shakuhachi Adventures"

*********************************************************************************

Update: The new blog is underway!!   http://shakuhachi-adventures.blogspot.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment