Sunday, January 26, 2014

Portland/Vancouver Welsh meet-up,running and the beard says Da Bo!!


After four weeks of Welsh study and continual increases of grey cell tickling, a milestone has been reached for myself and the Portland/Vancouver area. A group dedicated to speaking and learning the Welsh language has met for the first time, with a goal of expanding these delights to the surrounding communities in hopes of attracting a larger gathering. On Saturday, 25 January, the three of us met up at a NE Portland coffee house and devised a plan to secure future events and meetings. We talked about plans for flyers,Welsh language conversation and a general get to know each other experience.
Hopes are that we will have six to eight folks attending by spring and a good base to get things moving. Many thanks to Jeff and Emily for their efforts and participation. The next meet up is going to be at 6:30 PM at the McMenamins Kennedy School on Monday, 3 February.If anyone is interested in meeting up next time or in the future, the link here takes you to the Facebook group:


In addition to this new group, there are so many resources out there for learning as well. Especially valuable is the Say Something in Welsh forum online. Here is the link:


After the meeting , I moved on to Lesson 5 in the series to gain more insight into this fascinating and delightful language. As I'm taking the South Wales course, there are a few differences between them.
More on that later. For now though, I will be tackling this slightly differently than before. My short term memory is not the best. So Jeff recommended listening to ALL the lessons in the first course and hen going back to listen more intently. As a perfectionist, I need to get over the fact that I won't remember every word 100% and need to move on. And that;s what I shall do! On to lessons forward!

Besides Welsh, running has been most on my mind and legs. For the first time in almost a year, I have run 20+ miles three weeks in a row! The year 2013 was a dismal year for me as far as running is concerned. I mean with speed and distances as both lacked the power and quality of the year before due to sciatica and arthritis. Fortunately, both have been more manageable the last month and 2014 is shaping up to be better. So I will be working on mileage,speed,hill work and home stretching and exercises. I want to lose 15 lbs and also be able to compete in my age group of 45-49. First race is the Ft Vancouver 15K race in March. This is a pic from last year and I hope to only be a fraction as successful!!


Lastly, the beard has been sent packing. It simply is not me for now and I shaved it off last Thursday, preparing myself for the racing season and future running events.With our beautiful weather lately and the sun shining, the beard was not an accoutrement I wanted to continue with. Yes, some were sad it went away. But they will see it again next October 1st as I grow it back for a winter add-on.

Until next time....

Hywl fawr!!!



No comments:

Post a Comment