Sunday, February 2, 2014

My brain is full now !!!! Breathe,take a break.

  Learning languages is easy for some, a horrid struggle for others. I have known some with the ability to speak and write more than five languages fluently and others to struggle with one. Our brains process things so differently and if I had to put myself somewhere in that mix of students, I'd say I'm very average. Languages are something I used to be better at when in my 20's.

 
Now, at age 47, I find it tougher to pick them up. Hence the extra effort it takes me to study and digest,process a language now. Especially one that is not "local" and easier to immerse oneself in.
 
In my own area, this would be Spanish,Russian and Vietnamese. While these are delightful languages, I don't have a desire to speak them right now. I DID learn Russian for quite a few years in the early 90's till it was not really useable with my new friends any longer, as they had progressed to English and dropped their native tongue.SO, I moved on as well. Fiddled with German since high school and could really be fluent and good at it if I would apply myself. But, I don't have a lot of use for it right now and will tackle it after Welsh.

  Still, even with being an average student, there are days my brain is simply FULL. I cannot digest any more Welsh words, or for that matter,English words. I want to simply walk away from it for a few hours or a day and drain the brain. That is what music is for. I will tackle something that immerses me in sound and fantasy,in the past or future. Usually it involves classical music, my first love of all types & genres. Throw on a Mahler symphony and I'm good for hours after the piece ends.


  Usually a Mahler symphony has me putting on an SACD of Michael Tilson Thomas conducting the San Francisco symphony as they are my current favourites as far as recordings go. Incredible set with superb sound.  I need to get down to SFO for a concert one of these days.
  When it comes to winding down after studying though, Mahler is first and ,when not in that mood, usually American composers like Creston,Copland,Diamond and Hovhaness. THESE help my brain relax and repair after the language lessons.


                         Now, on 2 February,2014, I'm digesting lesson 6.1 and 6.2 of Say something in Welsh. I also am LISTENING only to the other lessons as well, progressing through them to get the ears adjusted to more Welsh. Tomorrow night, we have our second meeting of the Portland/Vancouver Welsh speakers group. So looking forward to seeing my friends and hope to meet new folks too!! We will have this at the McMenamins Kennedy School in Portland at 6:30 pm.
Not sure which room or bar yet as they have many to choose from. So check the Facebook group page if interested.
                                       https://www.facebook.com/groups/202761366596727/

    Now I'm off to watch the pre-game show for the Super Bowl! This is a special one as my beloved Seattle Seahawks are in this final game! GO SEAHAWKS!!!!














2 comments:

  1. Hmmm... I went to post a comment, and hit "Preview", and it ate my comment.. Oh well.. Anyway, recently acquired MTTs Mahler #1. Haven't actually had a chance to listen to it yet :-( I don't list to that much classical, but Mahler's 1st holds a special place for me. What's your fav Mahler symphony?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Every bit of Mahler is my favourite, LOL, but the best IMHO are the 2nd,3rd,6th,7th and 9th as well as all the Lieder.

      Delete