Tuesday, April 14, 2015

Finding work and the onset of cabin fever !

*********************************************************************************

                                                        It has been since mid December that I've been out of work, after the closing of Lingonberries Market and my two delightful years there. And as the money was saved up a bit to take some months off to get some things done, complete projects and such, it's now time to find something I really will enjoy and NOT something I have to take due to financial reasons. Yeah, there have been some who think I should take a full time job as that's the "American way" and that I should do so no matter what. Are you kidding? Why? Do lottery winners and retired folks do that? Nope.  Or some have even mentioned that I should take anything available, from dishwasher at a restaurant to a dog walker. Um....no thanks, I'll pass on those as I don't enjoy either. A part time job is just fine for me with few bills to pay. Money is just not all that important to me as it is to some and I'd rather enjoy my time than being at a desk all day long.  So I'm now looking for a position that gives me part time, benefits if possible, and a flexible schedule. Most important...I enjoy it!


                        Is that really too tough a thing to find? No, I just don't think so. What I find amazing is how much things have changed since the last time I went out to search. That's right: went out. Gone are the days of searching on foot and talking to humans. One must now apply online only, making that interaction of perspective employers a bit tougher. Granted, it is a lot easier for the one hiring to do this and I understand full well why. But to have a major retailer say I'm "overqualified" due to over two decades in wholesale and retail work at a single establishment completely defies belief. Overqualified? I was asking for a dollar above minimum wage! When at that career job, where I spent almost half of my life, I was making a LOT more. Nope. So, onward I go. Next up were a few local places, which is best due to the loss of my car in November. I was hoping to get my freelancing photography work started again but things have changed a lot in that field as everyone has a digital camera and software. Have to rethink that. Locally I have not found anything so the search continues.
And due to that search...cabin fever of sorts has set in.


As many know , I also have another blog entitled  Shakuhachi Adventures  and so some of my time has been spent there, playing,practicing and learning as much as I can about my beloved flute. Id addition to blogging, I have taken my flutes out and about to get this cabin fever under control, leading me to explore a lot of the little nooks and crannies of the town I live in. One great place is a wee park half a mile from my place called Jorgenson Woods. Time to take my primary shakuhachi, named Hideo,and one of his Native American cousins to the park! A fine day for such a trip outside to help cure cabin fever!

Here are a few pics from that adventure, which will for sure end up on the other blog in parts!!!











Spring has been stunning this year and the blossoms are everywhere!!! This park is filled with very tall cedars,hemlocks and a few Douglas Fir trees.




             Luscious green everywhere !!!




Playing Hideo in this park was a lot of fun, except for the audience of constant dog walkers and their always barking furry pals. tried to record a bit in there with my tascam DR-07 but between digs, local chickens, jets overhead...no, that was not working well at all.







 To the right is my Black Walnut Native American flute handmade for me by Butch Hall.



And to the left is my favourite shakuhachi, created in the mid 60's in japan. His name is Hideo and I try to play him daily if possible. He was brought to me by the great Perry Yung and is one of three from him that I own!







Days and events like this will certainly help with getting me out more. And, if I can get myself a new bike soon...that will be a big help. That means I'm on the look for a bike as mine died last year. A newer bike and not someone a problem bike someone is getting rid of.  Now a search for a road bike to get around the Portland/Vancouver metro area.





                                                                                                                         I shall get over cabin fever soon enough and find a bike AND a job eventually!! In the mean time, I'll be shooting more photos, playing shakuhachi and Native American flutes and enjoying this great life!!!

















No comments:

Post a Comment